Dienstag, 12. Juni 2007

Thai prawn satay with limes


I am not fond of seafod, not at all to be honest. But when it comes to prawns I change my mind in sudden bursts. I am still trying to find the answer to my question WHY I HATE fish but LOVE prawns, without any success unfortunately. I dont know why but...

I would just die for them.


Anyway, I found this nice recipe which I'm going to try out as soon as I have more time for myself. I am stuck in the middle of exam stress at the moment, so.. won't be that soon unfortunately :(

(just hope I won't fall ill like I did last time, when I made myself 'pasta al'arrabiatta..)



Ingredients

450g headless tiger prawns

1 stalk of lemon grass

3 limes

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

120ml canned coconut milk

6tbsp light soy sauce

2tsp palm or light muscovado sugar

For the Dipping Sauce:


1 baby cucumber or a 5cm piece of ordinary cucumber

50ml rice wine or white wine vinegar

1 tbsp caster sugar

1 red bird's eye chilli seeded and finely chopped

2tsp chopped roasted peanuts

8 x 15cm bamboo skewers soaked in cold water for 30 minutes


Method

1. Peel the prawns if necessary, leaving the last tail segment in place.


2. Remove the tough outer leaves from the stalk of the lemongrass and finely chop the tender core. Finely grate the lemon zest from one of the limes and squeeze out the juice. Cut the remaining limes and squeeze out the juice. Cut the remaining limes into a small wedges.


3. Put the lemongrass, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, coconut milk, soy sauce and sugar into a non-metalic dish. Add the prawns, mix together well and set aside to marinate at room temperature for about 15 minutes or for up to 2 hours in the fridge.


4. For the dipping sauce, cut the cucumber in half and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon. Cut the remaining cucumber into very small dice. Mix with the vinegar, sugar and chill until the sugar has dissolved and then spoon into small serving bowls. Sprinkle over the peanuts.


5. Thread 4 prawns on to each skewer in pairs together with 2 lime wedges. Pierce through the tail of one prawn, add a lime wedge and then skewer the head end of the prawn so that it wraps itself around the lime attractively. Do this once more and repeat for the rest of the skewers.


6. Barbecue the skewers over medium-hot coals for about 1 minute on each side or until just cooked through. Serve at once with the dipping sauce, garnished with the remaining lime wedges.

Keine Kommentare: